Ref. code: 250722
The Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics is looking for a full time Senior Scientist/Department Head in its Molecular Genetics Thalassaemia Department. The successful candidate is expected to start on the 2nd of May 2023.
The Molecular Genetics Thalassaemia Department is involved in studies aimed towards the areas of haemoglobinopathies and other rare haematological diseases and provide specialized diagnostic services, advanced research and education.
The suitable candidate will head, manage and develop the department to ensure it achieves the highest possible standards of excellence in all its activities. Moreover, he/she will exercise leadership, demonstrate vision and empower others in order to deliver the agreed strategy of the Institute. The above position is combined with a faculty position at the appropriate rank commensurate with experience and track record at the post-graduate School of the Institute.
He/she will be accountable to the Chief Executive Officer and Medical Director and will be a member of the Institute’s Scientific Council.
WHAT WE ARE SEEKING
• PhD in any Biological Science, Chemistry or closely related field; and
• A minimum of 6 years of post-qualification experience in the field of rare anaemias including haemoglobinopathies; and
• Proven ability to design and carry out original and independent research projects that result in publication; and
• Supervisory experience; and
• Command of the Greek and/or Turkish and English languages
Experience in molecular genetics/genomics, gene therapy and functional genomics will be considered an advantage.
WHAT WE OFFER
• Highly collaborative culture. Top-notch facilities that permit research at the cutting edge of scientific investigation
• Opportunities for advancement as an academic:
- Research infrastructure and resources are allocated including dedicated and state-of-the-art lab space and high-level research scientists
- Opportunities for dynamic involvement in the activities of the post-graduate School (supervision of MSc/PhD students, teaching and coordinating of the School programs).
• Annual starting gross salary (including 13th salary) is €68.305,05 (Scale A15/A16) plus other benefits. In certain circumstances the starting gross salary may be higher.
HOW TO APPLY
A cover letter and a detailed curriculum vitae and names of two referees should reach the Institute by 22 October 2022 by e-mail at: [email protected], stating the reference code. Contact person for further information: Mrs Anna Michaelidou, tel.: +357 22 392789, e-mail: [email protected].