Senior Consultant Neurologist
Head of Neuroepidemiology Dept
Head of Neuroepidemiology Department and EMG Laboratory, Senior Consultant Neurologist
Associate Professor, CING Postgraduate School
Present Professional and Academic Appointment: Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics
Rank and Title: Neurologist
Date of Birth: 13 July 1966
Place of Birth: Nicosia, Cyprus
1. Medical School: 1984-1991, Ioannina University, Greece.
2. Internal Medicine: April 1992 - November 1992
3. Psychiatry: December 1992 - June 1993
4. Neurology: July 1993 - July 1996, Department of Neurology, National University of Athens, Eginition Hospital, Athens, Greece (Residency)
5. January 1996 - January 1997, Neuromuscular Research Fellow, Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics, Nicosia, Cyprus.
6. June 1997 - September 1997, Neurophysiology course in hereditary polyneuropathies, Clinical EMG laboratories, Department of Neurology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, USA.
7. April 1999 - May 1999, Single Fibre EMG Course, Clinical EMG laboratories, Duke Medical Centre, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
8. May 1999 - July 1999, Clinical Electromyography, Neurophysiology Department, New England Medical Centre, Tuft’s University, Boston, Massachusetts
9. November 2000, Botulin Toxin Clinic, Neurophysiology Department, Ljubljana University Medical School, Slovenia
Medical Licensure (unrestricted in Greece), April 1992.
State Board Examination in Neurology, Greece, September 1996.
1. Postgraduate Fellowship from the Charcot-Marie-Tooth Association: June 1997 - September 1997 University, New York, USA. Neurophysiological investigation of CMT disease patients.
2. Short-term training scholarship under the Cyprus-American Scholarship Project (CASP):
April 1999 - May 1999, Single Fibre EMG Course, Clinical EMG laboratories, Duke Medical Centre, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
May 1999 - July 1999, Clinical Electromyography, Neurophysiology Department, New England Medical Centre, Tuft’s University, Boston, Massachusetts
1. Telethon (CYPRUS) on "Expression studies in hereditary motor neuronopathy type Jerash", Co-investigator, Support period: January 2007 to December 2007, Total grant: CY £ 30,000.00
2. Research Promotion Foundation on “Clinical and Genetic Investigation of SCA Cypriot families” Principal Investigator, Support period: March 2008 to March 2011,Total grant: €159,968
1. Muscular Dystrophy Association (USA) on “Neuromuscular diseases in eastern Mediterranean countries”, Co-investigator, Support period: February 1st 1997 to June 30th 1999, Total grant: US $ 158,000
2. Muscular Dystrophy Association (USA) on “Genetic studies in autosomal recessive hereditary motor neuronopathy and autosomal recessive inclusion body myopathy”, Co- investigator, Support period: July 1st 1999 to June 30th 2002, Total grant: USD 180,000
3. Muscular Dystrophy Association (USA) on “Investigating the role of molecular motors in ALS pathogenesis”, Co-investigator, Support period: January 1st 2000 to December 31st 2000, Total grant: US $ 65,000
4. Muscular Dystrophy Association (USA) on “Neuromuscular diseases in eastern Mediterranean countries”, Co-investigator, Support period: July 1st 1999 to June 30th 2002, Total grant: USD 135,000
5. United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) on “Friedreich’s ataxia carrier screening in the population originating from the Paphos district of Cyprus”, Co-investigator, Support period: April 1st 2001 to September 30th 2002, Total grant: CYP 58,452
6. Muscular Dystrophy Association (USA), Neuromuscular diseases in Eastern Mediterranean countries, Co-investigator, Support period: July 1st 2002 to June 30th 2005, Total grant: US $ 192,180.00
7. Research Promotion Foundation (CYPRUS), Pancyprian study of amyloid neuropathy, Co-investigator, Support period: December 16th 2002 to June 15th 2005, Total grant: CY £49,700.00
8. Research Promotion Foundation (CYPRUS), Atypical FSHD from Cyprus and Slovenia, Principal Investigator, Support period: April 2008 to April 2009, Total grant €16,428
BIBLIOGRAPHY (Selective Bibliography)
1. L T Middleton, K Christodoulou, F Deymeer, P Serdaroglu, C Ozdemir, A Al-Qudah, A Al-Shehab, I Mavromatis, I Mylonas, A Evoli, M Tsingis, E Zamba, K Kyriallis (1998), Congenital Myasthenic Syndrome (CMS) Type 1a Clinical and Genetic Diversity. Annals New York Academy of Sciences, Vol 841, 157-166.
2. Middleton L, Ohno K, Christodoulou K, Brengman J, Milone M, Neocleous V, Serdaroglu P, Deymeer F, Ozdemir C, Mubaidin A, Horany K, Al-Shehab A, Mavromatis I, Mylonas I, Tsingis M, Zamba E, Pantzaris M, Kyriallis K, Engel AG. Chromosome 17p-linked myasthenias stem from defects in the acetylcholine receptor epsilon-subunit gene. Neurology. 1999 Sep 22;53(5):1076-82.
3. Middleton LT, Christodoulou K, Mubaidin A, Zamba E, Tsingis M, Kyriacou K, Abu-Sheikh S, Kyriakides T, Neocleous V, Georgiou DM, el-Khateeb M, al-Qudah A, Horany K. Distal hereditary motor neuronopathy of the Jerash type. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1999 Sep 14;883:65-8.
4. Zamba E, Christodoulou K, Al-Shehab A, Mubaidin A, Neocleous V, Tsingis M, Abu-Sheik S, Middleton L, Horany K, Al-Qudah AK. Clinical and genetic heterogeneity in autosomal recessive CMS Jordanian families. Acta Myologica 2000 April Vol. XIX: 37-40.
5. Christodoulou K, Zamba E, Tsingis M, Mubaidin A, Horani K, Abu-Sheik S, El-Khateeb M, Kyriacou K, Kyriakides T, Al-Qudah AK, Middleton LT (2000) A novel form of distal hereditary motor neuronopathy (HMN-J) maps to chromosome 9p21.1-p12. Ann Neurol 48(6): 877-884.
6. Papathanasiou ES, Zamba E, Papacostas SS. Radial nerve F-waves: normative values with surface recording from the extensor indicis muscle. Clin Neurophysiology 2001 Jan; 112(1): 145-52.
7. Christodoulou K, Deymeer F, Serdaroglu P, Ozdemir C, Poda M, Georgiou DM, Ioannou P, Tsingis M, Zamba E, Middleton LT. Mapping of the second Friedreich’s ataxia (FRDA2) locus to chromosome 9p23-p11: evidence for further locus heterogeneity. Neurogenetics 2001, 3:127-132.
8. Zamba E, Christodoulou K, Al-Qudah AK, Horani K, Kyriakides T, Middleton LT, Mubaidin A. Autosomal recessive distal hereditary motor neuropathies. ACTA Myologica 2001; Vol. XX: 53-56.
9. Zamba-Papanicolaou E, Christodoulou K, Christodoulou C, Kyriakides T, Middleton LT. Hereditary Motor Neuronopathies. Rev Neurol (Paris). 2002 Dec;158(121):1220-1224
10. Kleopa KA, Zamba-Papanicolaou E, Kyriakides T. Compressive lumbar myelopathy presenting a segmental motor neuron disease. Muscle Nerve. 2003 Jul;28(1):69-73.
11. Kleopa KA, Kyriacou K, Zamba-Papanicolaou E, Kyriakides T. Reversible inflammatory and vacuolar myopathy with vitamin E deficiency in celiac disease. Muscle Nerve. 2004 Aug 18: [Epub ahead of print]
12. Sivakumar K, Kyriakides T, Puls I, Nicholson GA, Funalot B, Antonellis A, Ellsworth RE, Sambuughin N, Christodoulou K, Beggs JL, Zamba-Papanicolaou E, Ionasescu V, Dalakas MC, Green ED, Fischbeck KH, Goldfarb LG. Phenotypic spectrum of disorders associated with glycyl-tRNA synthetase mutations. Brain. 2005 Oct; 128(Pt 10): 2304-14. Epub 2005 Jul 13.
13. Kleopa K, Zamba-Papanicolaou E, Nicolaou P, Georgiou DM, Kyriakides T, Christodoulou K. Phenotypic and cellular expression of two novel Connexin32 mutations causing CMTX, Neurology 2006 66: 396-402.
14. Paschalis Nicolaou , Anthi Georghiou , Christina Votsi , Lefkos T Middleton , Eleni Zamba-Papanicolaou and Kyproula Christodoulou. A novel c.5308_5311delGAGA mutation in Senataxin in a Cypriot family with an autosomal recessive cerebellar ataxia. BMC Medical Genetics 2008, 9:28; doi:10.1186/1471-2350-9-28.