The Department of Cytogenetics and Genomics at CING is offering the Cytogenetic and Genomics course for MSc and PhD programs at the Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics, coordinated by Dr Carolina Sismani. The aim of this course is to provide in-depth education to students in the area of Human Cytogenetics and Genomics. The course covers all aspects of human cytogenetics and genomics and includes methodologies from conventional cytogenetics such as tissue culture, karyotype and FISH to more cutting edge technologies used in molecular cytogenetics and genomics such as array-CGH (Comparative Genomic Hybridization) and NGS (Next Generation Sequencing). More information is provided in CING webpage.
The Department is offering the Cytogenetic and Genomics course for MSc and PhD programs at the CING.
Moreover the department has an ongoing commitment to promote and enhance education within the field of genetics through collaborations with other in or out-of-Cyprus Universities and Organizations and through various other academic educational activities. Some of the department’s educational activities include:
- Teaching at local and International courses and workshops and presentation of lectures in Universities and scientific meetings.
- The provision of practical specialized trainings/courses in Cytogenetics to students and visiting Scientists in collaboration with other Universities local and abroad.
- The organization of National and International Scientific Conferences.
- Supervision of postdoctoral fellows.
- Supervision of the research thesis projects for Ph.D students of CING
- Supervision of the research thesis projects for MSc students of CING
- Supervision of research projects for BSc in collaboration with Universities in Cyprus and abroad
- Summer placements of undergraduate students
- One week practical placements for high school students
- Daily educational visits from groups (high school students, undergraduates student, other professionals)
ORGANIZATION OF SCIENTIFIC MEETINGS
• 1st course in “Basics in human genetic diagnostics - a course for Clinical Laboratory Geneticists in education” 20-25 June 2016. Co-organizer
• “New Developments in IVF and PGD” First joint conference of the Association of Clinical Embryologists of Cyprus and The Cyprus Society of Human Genetics. 14 February 2016. Co-organizer
• 3rd Hybrid Course in Next Generation Sequencing Remote Training Center for the “European School of Genetic Medicine” 7-10 May 2014. Organizer
• 27th Course in Medical Genetics Remote Training Center for the “European School of Genetic Medicine 11-15 May 2014. Organizer
• 3rd Course in the Integration of Cytogenetics, Microarrays and Massive Sequencing in Biomedical and Clinical Research. Remote Training Center for the “European School of Genetic Medicine. 16-20 Oct 2010
• Workshop in Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization (FISH), 5-17 July 2004. European Genetics Foundation and it is funded by the EUMEDIS project of the European Commission. The Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics, Nicosia, Cyprus. Workshop co-organizer.
• Workshop in Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization (FISH), 13-24 September 2004. European Genetics Foundation and it is funded by the EUMEDIS project of the European Commission. The Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics, Nicosia, Cyprus. Workshop co-organizer.
• 11th International Workshop of Fragile X and X-Linked Mental Retardation, 27-31 August 2003, Coral Beach Hotel, Paphos, Cyprus. Five days international conference with several invited lecturers from several countries. This meeting is taking place every two years in different continent.