Marina Kleanthous (PhD 1990 Neurochemistry, University of Athens) has been at the Molecular Genetics Thalassaemia Department at the CING since 1991, and Head of the Department since 1997. Prior to that, she had carried out research in the Fishery Department of National Center for Marine Research (NCMR) and the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (IMBB) of the Research Centre of Crete. She has extensive experience in the diagnosis of different forms of thalassaemia and other haemoglobinopathies and other rare hereditary disorders, prenatal diagnosis for thalassaemia and other diseases and Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) for thalassaemia. She has been involved in more than 14 research projects (totaling over €18.5 million) in the last 11 years and has been the coordinator of at least 10 of those.
1. Stephanou C, Papasavva P, Zachariou M, Patsali P, Epitropou M, Ladas P, Al-Abdulla R, Christou S, Antoniou Nm, Lederer Cw & Kleanthous M. Suitability of small diagnostic peripheral-blood samples for celltherapy studies. Cytotherapy, 2017: 19:311-326.
2. Clark B, Shooter C, Smith F, Brawand D, Steedman L, Oakley M, Rushton P, Rooks H, Wang X, Drousiotou A, Kyrri A, Hadjigavriel M, Will A, Fisher C, Higgs DR, Phylipsen M, Harteveld C, Kleanthous M, Thein SL. Beta thalassaemia intermedia due to co-inheritance of three unique alpha globin cluster duplications characterised by next generation sequencing analysis. Br J Haematol. 2016 July 29. doi: 10.1111/bjh.14294. [IF: 4.711, 2014]
3. Christodoulou I, Patsali P, Stephanou C, Antoniou M, Kleanthous M, Lederer CW. Measurement of lentiviral vector titre and copy number by cross-apecies duplex quantitative PCR. Gene Therapy, vol 23, 23 July 2016:113-118. DOI:10.1038/gt.2015.60 [IF: 3.242, 2016]
4. Theodorou A, Phylactides M, Forti L, Cramarossa MR, Spyrou P, Gambari R. Thein SL, Kleanthous M. The Investigation of resveratrol and analogs as potential inducers of fetal haemoglobin. Blood Cells, Molecules and Diseases. Vol 58, May 2016:6-12. [IF: 1.52 2015]
5. Kountouris P, Kousiappa I, Papasavva T, Christopoulos G, Pavlou E, Petrou M, Feleki X, Karitzie E, Phylactides M, Fanis P, Lederer CW, Kyrri R. A, Kalogerou E, Makariou Ch, Ioannou Ch, Kythreotis L, Hadjilambi G, Andreou N, Pangalou E, Savvidou I, Angastiniotis M, Hadjigavriel M, Sitarou M, Kolnagou A, Kleanthous M & Christou S. The molecular spectrum and distribution of haemoglobinopathies in Cyprus: a 20-year retrospective study. Scientific Reports Sci Rep. 2016 May 20;6:26371. doi: 10.1038/srep26371. [ IF: 5.228, 2015]
6. Papasavva T, Martin P, Legler TJ, Liasides M, Anastasiou G, Christofides A, Christodoulou T, Demetriou S, Kerimis P, Kontos C, Leontiades G, Papapetrou D, Patroclos T, Phylaktou M, Zottis N, Karitzie E, Pavlou E, Kountouris P, Veldhuisen B, van der Schoot E, Kleanthous M. Prevalence of RhD status and clinical application of non-invasive prenatal determination of fetal RHD in maternal plasma: a 5 year experience in Cyprus. BMC Res Notes. 2016 Apr 1;9(1):198. [No IF]
7. Karponi G, Psatha N, Lederer CW, Adair JE, Zervou F, Zogas N, Kleanthous M, Tsatalas C, Anagnostopoulos A, Sadelain M, Rivière I, Stamatoyannopoulos G, Yannaki E. Plerixafor+G-CSF-mobilized CD34+ cells represent an optimal graft source for thalassemia gene therapy. Blood. 2015 Jul 30;126(5):616-9. doi: 10.1182/blood-2015-03-629618. Epub 2015 Jun 18. [IF: 9.775, 2014]
8. Kountouris P, Lederer CW, Fanis P, Feleki X, Old J, Kleanthous M. IthaGenes: An Interactive Database for Haemoglobin Variations and Epidemiology. PLoS One. July 24;9(7), 2014. [IF: 3.534, 2014]
9. Fanis P, Kousiappa I, Phylactides M, Kleanthous M. Genotyping of BCL11A and HBS1L-MYB SNPs associated with fetal haemoglobin levels: a SNaPshot minisequencing approach. BMC Genomics. Feb 6;15(1):108, 2014. [IF: 4.041, 2014]